175 years previous prestigious institute in Vizag


The town of Visakhapatnam is house to many historic instructional establishments. For hundreds of years, these institutions have been part of the wealthy heritage and tradition of town. One such centuries-old image of Vizag’s lengthy historical past is St. Aloysius Excessive Faculty, the primary Catholic faculty constructed within the metropolis. John Castellas, a Vizag fan and historical past fanatic, tells the story of the college’s founding and rise.

Learn on for the story.

the start

St. Aloysius Excessive Faculty was began in 1847 by the missionaries of St. Francis de Gross sales, who first reached Vizagpatnam in 1846. After an preliminary refusal, the Authorities Council agreed in 1847 to Fr. Decompoix is ​​being appointed chaplain to the Catholic troopers with a month-to-month allowance of Rs 50. The fathers took up their residence within the space the place St. Aloysius Faculty is presently situated. Missionary Rev. Father. Tissot displayed an brisk enthusiasm and commenced constructing two faculties within the space, one for boys and one for ladies. In 1847, Rev. Father. Tissot acquired a small home close to the seaside and began the establishment which developed into St. Aloysius Excessive Faculty, the primary Catholic faculty in Vizag.

Rev. Pt. J. Decompoix was principal from 1847 to 1864. Rev. Father. Alexis Ricaz formally gained recognition for the college in 1864 and named the college ‘Saint Louis de Gonzagou’ (French) or Saint Aloysius, as it’s now generally recognized. The missionaries of St. Francis de Gross sales used the bottom ground as a chapel and devoted it to the Sacred Coronary heart of Jesus in 1872. Father Tissot first assigned the orphans to a sergeant of the East India Firm in the home on the nook of Seaside Highway, and progressively purchased and constructed the websites the place the properties of those troopers as soon as stood… therefore the names Fort Space and Soldierpeta.

based by

Considered the founding father of St. Aloysius Excessive Faculty in Vizag, Rev Father Jean Marie Tissot was a terrific builder in colonial Vizagpatam. Born in 1810, he arrived in India in 1845, got here to Vizagpatam in 1846 and was a priest with the Order Missionary of St. Francis de Sel of Annecy, France. RT. Rev JM Tissot grew to become the primary Bishop of Vizagpatam 1886 – 1890. Aloysius Excessive Faculty, his achievements prolonged to a long-term lease on the backwaters that’s right now’s Interior Harbour, he constructed reclamation embankments, launched new farming strategies and helped native farmers domesticate components of the paddy fields. helped to do. The Rev. Tissot additionally constructed St. Anne’s Cathedral in Vizag in 1854, constructed Fort Convent and St. Joseph’s Convent, Voltaire in 1898, bought land on Ross Hill, and constructed the unique Hill Chapel in 1886. Rev Tissot loved the patronage of Maharaja Sir Gode Gajapati. Rao and the Maharaja of Vizianagaram, who actively supported the institution of Catholic instructional establishments for native boys and their wives and daughters, actively supported the training of Telugu ladies.

The Madras Catholic Watchman reported in 1889 that…’Rev. Tissot launched Vizagpatam for the primary time, following:- Tube wells; ice making machine; stitching machine; washer; kneading machine; Grinding machine and kitchen vary or range. The town’s best architects had been at one time below the coaching of his lordship.’ Vizag had not but obtained its first Roman Catholic diocese, when Father Tissot was lastly named the primary bishop of Vizagpatam on 25 November 1886.

first 50 years

Within the 1850s, Vizag was a postcard-perfect metropolis of white chunam painted bungalows, broad sandy seashores with rippling surf and distinguished options had been Dolphin’s Nostril, St. Aloysius Faculty, Flagstaff, Mosques, Temples and Hill Chapel buildings and piers. background. St. Aloysius began in 1847 in a rented 2-room bungalow on Seaside Highway, its first college students had been army orphans and the federal government paid an allowance of Rs 7 monthly for his or her elementary training, assigned to a sergeant and his spouse. was. Father Tissot progressively bought the adjoining buildings over the next years and rebuilt them into the college, the Sacred Coronary heart Chapel, and dwelling quarters for the clergymen, nuns, and orphans who taught there part-time.

In 1870 the street between the bungalows and the parade floor was constructed and Father Tissot, who had masonry abilities, constructed the unique faculty with bricks and chunam. The orphans had been taught music, drama, gymnastics and drawing. Presently, a college for Telugu ladies was declared in a bungalow with the initiative and monetary assist of the Maharaja of Vizianagaram Narasimha Rao and the queen’s mom, Mrs Surya Prakash Rao. The necessity for such a college was felt because the customs there didn’t enable younger girls to seem in public and ladies had been withdrawn from faculty at an early age.

second 50 years

In 1891, the inhabitants of Vizag was 34,487 and in 1901 it was 40,892 with 7,741 households thus indicating that this enhance was primarily as a result of opening of the East Coast Railway. This inhabitants included 36,346 Hindus, 2,761 Muslims and 1,749 Christians. The primary residence of nearly all of this inhabitants was Vizagpatam correct, with European communities in Waltair and Waltair station. Over the following 50 years, St. Aloysius shifted from a center faculty and in 1907, St. Aloysius had 180 college students who had been a mixture of European, Eurasian and Indian Christians. The employees contains seven European clergymen, 4 brothers and two common lecturers, industrial and technical courses are a particular characteristic, and the cadet corps on the institute is 60 robust. St. Aloysius is instructing telegraphy, shorthand, typewriting and freehand drawing. Highschool numbers elevated as extra certified native lecturers joined the employees and highschool and math, science and English literature grew to become characteristic topics with the Senior Cambridge Certificates as {qualifications}. The St. Aloysius Industrial Faculty began in 1890 was meant to assist poor boys who weren’t suited to tutorial topics. The chosen boys got 3 years of casual coaching and the scholars bought prepared work within the East Coast Railway which began in Vizag in 1893.

St. Aloysius High School Vizag The college buildings had been destroyed in a cyclone of 1923 and rebuilt with smaller rocks from the eruption of Ross Hill throughout port development by 1933, with bigger rocks getting used for breakwaters close to Dolphin Nostril.

After Independence

St. Aloysius was effectively positioned to accommodate the increase in demand for training. As Vizag grew, so did St. Aloysius, with extra buildings and a big enhance within the variety of college students pursuing English medium highschool training. Faculty and university-educated lecturers had been extra available and plenty of St. Aloysius Previous Boys returned to high school in a instructing capability. The economic faculty grew in significance with the arrival of the railway, telegraphy, electrical energy and the motorcar. In 1960, the Nationwide Cadet Corps (NCC) was began and this period was strongly influenced by the management of Father Joseph Pulikal as its Principal.

faculty bell

The bell of St. Aloysius’ Faculty in Vizag is probably the most precious artifact as a result of importantly it was gifted to the Rev. Jean Marie Tissot from Pope Leo XIII on his nomination as Vicar-Apostolic on 6 August 1863.

St. Aloysius High School Vizag The Latin inscription on the college bell reads:

….Leon XIII Papa JM Tissot Vic Apost Cura Mission… Ariorum….…

The bell was produced by Georges and Francis Packard’s foundry at Annecy Le Vieux, on the French a part of the Italian border. The Packard Foundry produced a lot of the bells of Europe’s well-known cathedrals, so the college’s Sacred Coronary heart Chapel was in good firm. This bell used to ring on daily basis at 6.00 a.m., 12 midday and 6.00 p.m. in an period when the native inhabitants had no clock and relied on the sound of the bell to inform the time. The bell and its bell tower suffered casualties as a result of cyclone of November 1923 which destroyed the old fashioned buildings.

faculty band

St. Aloysius had a popularity for good music with a chapel choir and college bands that took half in a lot of the festivals and celebrations in previous Vizag. Within the late 1800s, the Governor, the Maharaja and the Archbishop would arrive in Vizag by steamship and could be accompanied by anthem by bands on the foreshore and the firing of welcome salutes by gun batteries on the flagstaff. The college band would then lead a procession of dignitaries in ‘horse and carriage’, accompanied by spectators waving the flag in the direction of Voltaire on Foremost Avenue.

St. Aloysius High School Vizag Principals

The early principalities of St. Aloysius had been all French clergymen of the missionaries of St. Francis de Gross sales. The primary Indian clergymen appointed by the MSFS in Vizag had been Rev Anselm Chelvam and Rev Patrick Wall. Rev Chelvam was a Tamil and Telugu scholar who translated discourses and prayers, was a instructor andth St. Aloysius 1882 – 1893 Principal and first Indian principal. Throughout his time, Rev Chelvam was additionally an Honorary Justice of the Peace in Vizag. Rev Patrick Wall was a Eurasian (Anglo-Indian) born in India to Irish/Tamil dad and mom. First a instructor of St. Aloysius later the principal of St. Xavier’s Faculty, Nagpur. The final French Principal of St. Aloysius was Rev. lie Menet in 1965, when Rev. Joseph Pulical was appointed Principal. The present Principal, Father Mariadas Seseti, follows the lengthy custom of MSFS pastors who’ve led St. Aloysius.

Play

In entrance of the college was the bottom or the previous parade floor and the flagstaff stood in that place till 1950 when it was moved to the opposite facet of the lighthouse. The grounds had been the positioning of many group gatherings within the previous city. Festivals, circuses, jubilee celebrations, and feeding the poor throughout famines had been additionally held within the grounds.

The earliest report of a cricket match in Vizag was in 1874 when 7th The Madras Infantry arrived at their new posting on the fort and established a rivalry with the prevailing Godavari Volunteer Rifles on this floor. The annual St. Aloysius Sports activities Day was an occasion that has at all times had a fascination with the athletic performances of town’s youth, together with performances of music and gymnastics. Many athletes, footballers, cricketers or hockey gamers from Andhra state honed their abilities on the sphere. The college quadrangle was the positioning of a boxing event with the military and navy groups encouraging rivalry with town’s youth.

Many youths of Vizag are grateful for a great training from this prestigious instructional establishment – St. Aloysius!

When you have any anecdotes or historical past on Vizag, the creator would recognize so that you can contact them [email protected]

written by john castellas Whose household belonged to Vizag for five generations. Educated at St Aloysius, immigrated to Melbourne, Australia in 1966, former Normal Supervisor Engineering at Boeing and Qantas Airways, in Retirement Lecturers in Aviation Administration at Swinburne College and is a Vizag fan.



Supply hyperlink