Have you ever heard of Rockdale Structure in Vizag?


Visakhapatnam is way more than seashores, hills and well-developed areas. Each road on this stunning metropolis is related to its personal historical past, one such space in Vizag is Rockdale Structure, the place Rockdale Lodge, Apollo Hospital and different trendy constructions could be discovered. This place, now a significant industrial middle of the town, has received its fair proportion of historical past and story. Vijjeshwarpu Edward Paul Harking back to Rockdale’s lesser-known story.

Rockdale is the identify of a small structure within the bustling metropolis of Vizag, on the east facet of the highway main from Jagdamba Junction to Waltair Upland. It’s located on the sting of Apollo Hospital and reverse Lazarus Hospital and Daspalla Government Court docket. The structure was constructed round 1978 by the Canadian Baptist Mission. The structure received its identify from a bungalow named “Rockdale”.

“Rockdale” Vizagpatam given by Dr. Eva D’Perger to the Canadian Baptist Mission

This bungalow was owned by Dr. Miss Eva D’Prazer, who’s a medical practitioner. She was the daughter of Mr. Benjamin d’Aprser of an Anglo-Indian household from Bheemunipatnam. The household was Anglican and attended St Peter’s Church in Bheemunipatnam. She was eligible for medical observe on the Woman Dufferin Institute in Madras. She practiced medication in Visakhapatnam and was additionally in-charge of Victoria Gosha Girls’s Hospital established by Maharaja GNGjapati Rao. She was fashionable among the many king’s households.

When the CBM Excessive College within the metropolis was about to shut, because the Canadian Baptist Mission expressed its incapacity to offer additional funding, she was one of many few who donated generously to run the college. She was one of many founding members of the CBM Excessive College Society, fashioned in 1926 to run the college, after CBM missionaries stopped monetary assist. He based the Residence Missionary Society among the many Anglo Indians in India and Burma. Acadia College in Canada awarded him an honorary LLD throughout his go to to that nation. After retirement, he took cost of the Mountain Residence for Anglo Indian Kids in Coonoor, Nilgiris. When she fell ailing she was taken to Madras the place she died on 27 January 1928.

Closing his medical observe, earlier than leaving Visakhapatnam, he donated his Rockdale bungalow and the encircling space, which was his property, to the Baptist Mission of Canada. She additionally needed that the lease of that bungalow be given to CBM Excessive College. The Rockdale property thus handed into the fingers of Canadian Baptist missionaries, who in flip constructed a structure and offered the plots earlier than leaving Vizag.

On the opposite facet of the road, reverse Rockdale, was one other bungalow named “Sunnyside”. It was the residence of one other fashionable doctor, Dr. Miss Hilda Lazarus. It’s now changed by the Lazarus Hospital and the Daspalla Government Court docket. The realm between Sunnyside and Rockdale was often known as Ganjipeta in these days. Ganjipeta was the demarcation level between Visakhapatnam and Waltair. The northern a part of Ganjipeta was within the Waltair property.

Beneath is a photograph of Dr. Eva D’Perzer along with her two younger buddies. The younger boy on this image, BV Narayana Rao, grew up and went to England to review engineering and was concerned within the development of the Vizagpatnam Harbor. He was the primary indigenous engineer to hitch the development in 1922. He labored within the port until the completion of the mission development. The opposite lady within the image was his sister Thayru.

Dr. Eva d’Aprser and her younger buddies

Written by Edward Paul, a city-based heritage negotiator. A retired transport supervisor by career, Septugenerian, contemplating his age, is gathering information on Vizag from the British Library, London, Authorities of Tamil Nadu. Archives, Archives at Christian Theological Faculty Bangalore and Hyderabad, and different public libraries.



Supply hyperlink